“Baker is blessed with an exacting eye for the disturbing and humorous detail and an ability to hear pain and sorrow, joy and delight, a rare talent who can make you smile and cringe and think in the same sentence.” -Thomas King
Bad Endings, winner of the City of Vancouver Book Award, finalist for the Rogers Writers’ Trust Award, the BC Book Prizes Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award, and the Emerging Indigenous Voices Award for fiction
Creative writing instructor at Simon Fraser University
Writer in Residence and Shadbolt Fellow in the Humanities at Simon Fraser University
Book Reviews for The Globe And Mail, Quill & Quire, The Literary Review of Canada, The Malahat Review, EVENT Magazine
Bad Endings. A short story collection. Anvil Press, April 2017
The Closest We’ll Get To Neon (Chapbook). 2016
Sound artist/ poet Confluence at Aberdeen Canyon. Interactive sound project with musician/ composer Anthony Wallace. Dec 2015- Feb 2016. Arts Commons, Calgary Centre for the Performing Arts. Listen to a sample on Soundcloud.
Guest poet/ writer Fools Love: A 40 Week Journal. Filmmaker: Kerry Barber. (Dawson City Intl. Short Film Festival. CAN. 2013) (Wairoa Maori Film Festival. NZ. 2013)
Rising Tides: Reflections for Climate Changing Times (Caitlin Press, November 2019)
- Fiction: Where Were You?
Body and Soul: Stories for Skeptics and Seekers (Caitlin Press, March 2019)
- Essay: In a Canoe, Chasing my Metis Grandmother
Vancouver Noir (Akashic Press, November 2018)
- Fiction: The Midden
Everyday People: The Color of Life (Simon & Schuster, 2018)
- Fiction: Moosehide
Best Canadian Essays (Tightrope Books, 2016)
- Essay: Dinner With The Vittrekwas
The Journey Prize Anthology (Penguin Random House, Fall 2016)
- Fiction: Chins and Elbows
In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation (Brindle & Glass, Spring 2016)
- Creative Non-Fiction: The Importance Of Rivers
Work in Translation
Polja: Časopis za književnost | Teoriju No. 511 May/June 2018
- Fiction: Last Woman (Poslednja Žena)
The Globe and Mail
- Globe Books Review: Alicia Elliott’s A Mind Spread Out on the Ground. March 31, 2019.
- Globe Books Review: Lee Maracle’s My Conversations with Canadians and Arthur Manuel’s The Reconciliation Manifesto. November 3, 2017.
- Globe Books Review: J. Edward Chamberlin’s The Banker and the Blackfoot. September 9, 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Yasuko Thanh’s Mysterious Fragrance of the Yellow Mountains. April 29, 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Joan Crate’s Black Apple. March 11 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Emmanuelle Walter’s Stolen Sisters. Nov 13 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Wab Kinew’s The Reason You Walk. October 9 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Jon Chan Simpson’s Chinkstar. August 25 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Tracey Lindberg’s Birdie. June 13 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Ken Coates’ #IdleNoMore and the Remaking of Canada. April 18, 2015.
- Globe Books Review: John Vaillant’s The Jaguar’s Children. January 10, 2015.
- Globe Books Review: John Ralston Saul’s The Comeback. December 6, 2014.
Poetry is Dead (Forthcoming–Nov 2018)
- Grow Your Hair Long: A Conversation with Waub Rice.
Quill & Quire (Forthcoming–2018)
- Non-fiction review: Tanya Tagaq’s Split Tooth
The Literary Review of Canada September 2018
Quill & Quire August 2018
- Non-fiction review: Daniel Heath Justice’s Why Indigenous Literatures Matter
The Short Story Advent Calendar. Hingston & Olsen. Winter 2017
Fiction: Last Woman
The New Quarterly Spring 2017
- Essay: In a Canoe, Chasing my Metis Grandmother Like a Dummy
Room Magazine Spring 2017
- Fiction: Midwives
subTerrain Issue 76, May 2017
- Interview: #Resistance150: A Conversation Between Carleigh Baker and Jordan Abel
The Literary Review of Canada November 2016
- Fiction review: Katherena Vermette’s The Break
The Malahat Review December 2016
- Non-fiction review: Ma-Nee Chacaby’s A Two-Spirit Journey: The Autobiography of a Lesbian Ojibwa-Cree Elder
Matrix Magazine October 2016
- Fiction: Read These Postcards In A Gonzo Journalist Voice
subTerrain Issue 74, Sept 2016
- Fiction: Shoe Shopping With The Cash Poor
The Rusty Toque July 2016
- Fiction review: Richard Van Camp’s The Lesser Blessed 20th anniversary ed.
Quill & Quire May 2016
- Non-fiction review: Joe Friesen’s The Ballad of Danny Wolfe
The Goose Spring 2016
- Non-fiction review: Derrick Stacey Denholm’s Ground Truthing: Reimagining The Indigenous Rainforests Of BC’s North Coast
EVENT Magazine Winter 2015
- Poetry Reviews: Jónína Kirton’s page as bone ink as blood, Marilyn Dumont’s The Pemmican Eaters, Chelene Knight’s Braided Skin
The Malahat Review Winter 2015
- Non-fiction review: Mini Aodla Freeman’s Life Among the Qallunaat
Joyland Magazine Oct 2015
- Fiction: The Modern Intimate
PRISM International Fall/Winter 2015
- Creative Non-Fiction: Dinner With The Vittrekwas. Read online now at goingdownswinging.org
Matrix Magazine July 2015
subTerrain Issue 70, May 2015
- Fiction: Chins and Elbows
EVENT Magazine May 2014
Joyland Magazine Aug 2013
- Fiction: War of Attrition (2014 Journey Prize nominee.)
subTerrain Issue 63, Jan 2013
- Fiction: Last Call (Winner, 2012 Lush Triumphant awards.)
Ricepaper Jan 2013
- Poetry: Grandma Carrière, Saint Mary
- Feature article: Absurd Ways for Absurd Times: Topless, Performance Feminism for Vancouver? Vol 39 Issue 18, Jan 29 2013. Also featured on Canadian University Press.
- Feature article: Beauty/Beast: Marketing and the heterosexual man’s need to be fabulous. Vol 39 Issue 11, Nov 14 2012.
- Surrey Writers’ Conference 2019. Keynote Speaker: Dashed expectations and Epic Wins
- The Fraser Valley Literary Festival 2018. Keynote Speaker: Allyship on the page: Writing Indigenous Characters, Telling Indigenous Stories
- Canadian Writers’ Summit 2016. White People Listening: Becoming an effective ally to the process of reconciliation. Moderator/ speaker
- Canadian Writers’ Summit 2016. In This Together contributor’s panel. Speaker
- The Indigenous Arts Festival at Fort York 2016. In This Together panel. Speaker
- BC Nurses Union Human Rights Conference 2015 & 2017. Breakout speaker
Interviews/ Festivals (selected)
- The Hay Festival (August and November, 2019)
- Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts (Aug 2018)
- International Festival of Authors (Oct 2017)
- Ottawa International Writers Festival (Oct 2017)
- Victoria Festival of Authors (Sept 2017)
- Denman Island Readers and Writers Festival (July 2017)
- INcite Reading Series (Vancouver Writers Festival) (March 2017)
- Podcast interview for Can’t Lit. Winter, 2015
- Podcast interview for The Canadian Wilderness Residency Program. Spring, 2015
- Winner of the City of Vancouver Book Award, 2017
- Finalist for the BC Book Prize Bill Duthie Booksellers’ Choice Award
- Finalist for the Rogers Writer’s Trust Award, 2017
- SSHRC Research Scholarship recipient, 2017
- Journey Prize Anthology selection for Chins and Elbows, 2015
- Best Canadian Essays selection for Dinner With The Vittrekwas, 2015/16
- National Magazine Award nomination for Dinner With The Vittrekwas, 2015/16
- Joyland Magazine, Publisher’s Top Five pick, 2013 and 2015
- Journey Prize nomination for War of Attrition, 2014
- subTerrain: Lush Triumphant award for fiction, 2012
- Maurice Hodgson memorial award for creative writing, 2011
- Founder/ Coordinator: UBC Indigenous lit reading circle
- Guest editor: Poetry is Dead Magazine Metal Issue 2018
- Editorial intern Event Magazine.
- Co-Host The Writer’s Studio Reading Series.
- Founder and editor SWINE. Douglas College student run poetry ‘zine.