“…we’re pretty sure she’s the new master of relationship tragicomedy.”
–Joyland Magazine (Joyland Publisher’s Top Five pick, 2013 and 2015)
Named one of CBC’s 17 Writers To Watch in 2017
Indigenous Collective member with Unceded Airwaves, a weekly radio show on CiTR. Mondays, 11-12:30
SSHRC Research Scholarship recipient, 2017
Journey Prize Anthology #28 selection for Chins and Elbows, 2015
Dinner With The Vittrekwas, selection for Best Canadian Essays, 2016
Book Reviews for The Globe And Mail, Quill & Quire, The Literary Review of Canada, The Malahat Review, EVENT Magazine.
Vancouver Editor at Joyland Magazine.
Intro to short fiction instructor for The Writer’s Studio at Simon Fraser University. Southbank Program.
Bad Endings. A short story collection. Anvil Press, April 2017
The Closest We’ll Get To Neon (Chapbook). 2016
Sound artist/ poet Confluence at Aberdeen Canyon. Interactive sound project with musician/ composer Anthony Wallace. Dec 2015- Feb 2016. Arts Commons, Calgary Centre for the Performing Arts. Listen to a sample on Soundcloud.
Guest poet/ writer Fools Love: A 40 Week Journal. Filmmaker: Kerry Barber. (Dawson City Intl. Short Film Festival. CAN. 2013) (Wairoa Maori Film Festival. NZ. 2013)
Vancouver Noir (Forthcoming–Akashic Press, 2017)
- Fiction: The Midden
Best Canadian Essays (Tightrope Books, 2016)
- Essay: Dinner With The Vittrekwas
The Journey Prize Anthology (Penguin Random House, Fall 2016)
- Fiction: Chins and Elbows
In This Together: Fifteen Stories of Truth and Reconciliation (Brindle & Glass, Spring 2016)
- Creative Non-Fiction: The Importance Of Rivers
The Globe and Mail
- Globe Books Review: J. Edward Chamberlin’s The Banker and the Blackfoot. September 9, 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Yasuko Thanh’s Mysterious Fragrance of the Yellow Mountains. April 29, 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Joan Crate’s Black Apple. March 11 2016.
- Globe Books Review: Emmanuelle Walter’s Stolen Sisters. Nov 13 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Wab Kinew’s The Reason You Walk. October 9 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Jon Chan Simpson’s Chinkstar. August 25 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Tracey Lindberg’s Birdie. June 13 2015.
- Globe Books Review: Ken Coates’ #IdleNoMore and the Remaking of Canada. April 18, 2015.
- Globe Books Review: John Vaillant’s The Jaguar’s Children. January 10, 2015.
- Globe Books Review: John Ralston Saul’s The Comeback. December 6, 2014.
The New Quarterly Spring 2017
- Essay: In a Canoe, Chasing my Metis Grandmother Like a Dummy
Room Magazine Spring 2017
- Fiction: Midwives
subTerrain Issue 76, May 2017
- Interview: #Resistance150: A Conversation Between Carleigh Baker and Jordan Abel
The Literary Review of Canada November 2016
- Fiction review: Katherena Vermette’s The Break
The Malahat Review December 2016
- Non-fiction review: Ma-Nee Chacaby’s A Two-Spirit Journey: The Autobiography of a Lesbian Ojibwa-Cree Elder
Matrix Magazine October 2016
- Fiction: Read These Postcards In A Gonzo Journalist Voice
subTerrain Issue 74, Sept 2016
- Fiction: Shoe Shopping With The Cash Poor
The Rusty Toque July 2016
- Fiction review: Richard Van Camp’s The Lesser Blessed 20th anniversary ed.
Quill & Quire May 2016
- Non-fiction review: Joe Friesen’s The Ballad of Danny Wolfe
The Goose Spring 2016
- Non-fiction review: Derrick Stacey Denholm’s Ground Truthing: Reimagining The Indigenous Rainforests Of BC’s North Coast
EVENT Magazine Winter 2015
- Poetry Reviews: Jónína Kirton’s page as bone ink as blood, Marilyn Dumont’s The Pemmican Eaters, Chelene Knight’s Braided Skin
The Malahat Review Winter 2015
- Non-fiction review: Mini Aodla Freeman’s Life Among the Qallunaat
Joyland Magazine Oct 2015
- Fiction: The Modern Intimate
PRISM International Fall/Winter 2015
- Creative Non-Fiction: Dinner With The Vittrekwas. Read online now at goingdownswinging.org
Matrix Magazine July 2015
subTerrain Issue 70, May 2015
- Fiction: Chins and Elbows
EVENT Magazine May 2014
Joyland Magazine Aug 2013
- Fiction: War of Attrition (2014 Journey Prize nominee.)
subTerrain Issue 63, Jan 2013
- Fiction: Last Call (Winner, 2012 Lush Triumphant awards.)
Ricepaper Jan 2013
- Poetry: Grandma Carrière, Saint Mary
- Feature article: Absurd Ways for Absurd Times: Topless, Performance Feminism for Vancouver? Vol 39 Issue 18, Jan 29 2013. Also featured on Canadian University Press.
- Feature article: Beauty/Beast: Marketing and the heterosexual man’s need to be fabulous. Vol 39 Issue 11, Nov 14 2012.
- Canadian Writers’ Summit 2016. White People Listening: Becoming an effective ally to the process of reconciliation. Moderator/ speaker
- Canadian Writers’ Summit 2016. In This Together contributor’s panel. Speaker
- The Indigenous Arts Festival at Fort York 2016. In This Together panel. Speaker
- BC Nurses Union Human Rights Conference 2015. Breakout speaker
- Ottawa Writer’s Festival (Forthcoming, Oct 2017)
- Victoria Festival of Authors (Forthcoming, Sept 2017)
- Denman Island Readers and Writers Festival (July 2017)
- INcite Reading Series (Vancouver Writer’s Festival) (March 2017)
- Podcast interview for Can’t Lit. Winter, 2015
- Podcast interview for The Canadian Wilderness Residency Program. Spring, 2015
- Interview with EVENT Magazine. Winter, 2013
- SSHRC Research Scholarship recipient, 2017
- Journey Prize Anthology selection for Chins and Elbows, 2015
- Best Canadian Essays selection for Dinner With The Vittrekwas, 2015/16
- National Magazine Award nomination for Dinner With The Vittrekwas, 2015/16
- Joyland Magazine, Publisher’s Top Five pick, 2013 and 2015
- Journey Prize nomination for War of Attrition, 2014
- subTerrain: Lush Triumphant award for fiction, 2012
- Maurice Hodgson memorial award for creative writing, 2011
- Editorial intern Event Magazine.
- Co-Host The Writer’s Studio Reading Series.
- Founder and editor SWINE. Douglas College student run poetry ‘zine.